The Peterborough Mattress Company, 1903-1978, began as a textile mill run by William Faint (1879-1914).
The factory building was relocated from a site near the eastern end of the low-level Hunter Street Bridge (1876-1920) where a significant industrial suburb had taken shape near Mowry's agricultural implements factory and the Rogers raceway.
After the building was expropriated by the city to create James Stephenson Park, Jim Ellis, who bought the factory in 1914, had the building moved to the rear of his Mark Street residence in 1927, adjacent to the railway.
From this site mattresses, springs and upholstery were shipped for over fifty years to store outlets throughout Canada.
In 2012 the Mattress Factory was declared an historic Building after much work to restore it.
Over the last 10 years the Mattress Factory has been transformed into the workshop of Rivison Renovations. In this workshop Robin fashions much of the millwork required on his more intricate jobs. This beautiful old building with its large south facing windows makes a bright and spacious workspace..
Copyright 2014 Rivison Renovations
specializing in old home renovations, remodeling, green home solutions, skilled carpentry, home additions
Web Design by the creative space